“God what an outfield,” he says. “What a left field.” He looks up at me, and I look down at him. “This must be heaven,” he says.
“No. It’s Iowa,” I reply automatically. But then I feel the night rubbing softly against my face like cherry blossoms; look at the sleeping girl-child in my arms, her small hand curled around one of my fingers; think of the fierce warmth of the woman waiting for me in the house; inhale the fresh-cut grass small that seems locked in the air like permanent incense; and listen to the drone of the crowd, as below me Shoeless Joe Jackson tenses, watching the angle of the distant bat for a clue as to where the ball will be hit.
“I think you’re right, Joe,” I say, but softly enough not to disturb his concentration.
1. Radio Call
2. Glory Days – Bruce Springsteen
3. Centerfield – John Fogerty
4. Right Field – Peter, Paul & Mary
5. I Am Here – John McCutcheon
6. If You Can’t Make a Hit at the Ballgame, You Can’t Make a Hit With Me – National Pastime Orchestra
7. Tessie – Dropkick Murphys
8. Ted Fucking Williams – The Baseball Project
9. Radio Call
10. All the Way (Live) – Eddie Vedder
11. The Greatest – Kenny Rogers
12. Piazza, New York Catcher – Belle and Sebastian
13. Talkin’ Baseball – Terry Cashman
14. Catfish – Bob Dylan
15. Ty Cobb – Soundgarden
16. Young Bloods – The Bronx
17. Say Hey – The Treniers
Tyler Hellard finished third in his fantasy baseball league this season.